Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A picture of home



A while ago I spotted a painting in my daily newspaper that attracted my attention because it looked familiar in style and content. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was painted by Egon Schiele and depicted Stein a. D., where my parents live and mom was born.

I had no idea that Schiele painted landscapes, but I quite liked the picture with its two central churches, the Danube and the vineyards in back. Since both of our children were baptized in one of the churches (the lower one; the uppoer one, the "Frauenkirche" is decomissioned and serves as a war memorial), I went on the internet and ordered a poster. I paid 50 USD, which I felt was expensive, but when the package was delivered some 3 weeks later (from China), I realized that I had purchased an oil painting on canvas. I had it framed and it now adorns our entrance hall and is a constant reminder of Wachau's natural beauty.

No comments: