Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Motocross


As a conservationist Motocross goes a little against my grain and would not be the first choice of recreation for myself. The agressive noise, the consumption of gasoline, the obvious destructiveness do not fit into my concept of preservation and healing the planet. I must admit, however, that it is a great confidence builder and I enjoyed watching Conrad and Edi Kei do the kids course at Kawachinagano.




Motocross is a form of motorcycle sport or all-terrain vehicle racing held on enclosed off-road circuits. Motocross is derived from the French, and traces its origins to British Scrambling competitions. The name "motocross" is a contraction derived from the words "Motorcycle" and "Cross Country". So according to this definition of motocross from Wikepedia, the guys jumping and looping off a ramp on their motorcycles at a course in Kawachinagano are not Motocross riders but something else. What, you may ask? I guess they are full fledged thrill seekers and stuntmen.





I do have a question, though: what motivates a young man to ride a motorbike at full speed off a ramp, fling himself into the air and then, airborne, get off his vehicle to perform some tricks?

Enjoy these fascinating pictures of true athletes on their bikes.








Conrad and Edi Kei had a chance to meet the bikers during a break.

No comments: